Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fast Food - El Majahual


A couple of Saturdays ago, on a beautiful sunny afternoon, Daniel and I went for a long walk through the Outer Mission. And although we'd had a big brunch at Mission Beach earlier that morning, by the end of our wanderings, we were starving, so we decided to try out a Colombian/El Salvadoran hole-in-the-wall that I'd stumbled upon a few weeks prior.

The menu is a great mix of the two cuisines, and it was very difficult to choose. But ultimately we went for the following:

Chicken Tamale - this was literally the best tamale I've ever had. The corn part was sweet and moist and chewy. The chicken was melt in your mouth tender, perfectly seasoned, perfect in every way.

Chicken stewed with potatoes and cassava, rice, salad, and ripe plantain - this was Daniel's main course and in spite of my revulsion inspired by the giant plantain in the middle of his plate, I couldn't help but sample several bites of this entirely satisfying plate of comforting deliciousness. Again the chicken was perfectly cooked. The potatoes were tender and had soaked up the chickeny goodness. Even the salad, a kind of citrus cold slaw was fantastic.


Sopa de Pollo - I'm going through another soup phase, so I went simple chicken soup with veggies. Served with rice in the bowl and a homemade tortilla on the side. More perfect chicken - in this dish all white meat. Loads of fresh vegetables. A rich clear broth. And a thick, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside corn tortilla to dip in it. I was full, but I ate the whole thing.



Daniel also had a cashew fruit drink, which was too melony and sweet for my taste, but he loved it.

The food took a long time to come because it's all made to order and there were some mysteriously loud banging sounds emerging from the kitchen, but this is a homey, delicious, comforting joint, and a place that I can't wait to get back to.

No comments: