Sunday, May 24, 2009

A (not so) Hot Date (bar)

It had been a while since I pulled out my copy of the Tassajara Bread Book, so I don't know exactly what prompted its return. But I had the place to myself last Friday, and I thought I'd make something to greet Daniel when he got home later that evening. After paging through the book and realizing that I had most of the ingredients (minus the mysterious nutmeats), I went for this date bar. I hoped that it might be reminiscent of the delicious date nut bars that are ubiquitous at every bodega in New York. They weren't, and I have to say I didn't find the results entirely pleasing. While the top of the bars are very moist and chewy, the bottoms are too crumbly and dry for my taste. But Daniel liked that and has been eating them for breakfast. And they're relatively healthy, so here's the recipe...

Tassahara Bread Book Date Bars
(18-24 bars)

Ingredients
3 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used light)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspooon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup chopped dates or raisins or figs or prunes
1/2 cup chopped nutmeats (WHAT IS THIS? I used walnuts)

Directions
-Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
-Beat eggs until light.
-Gradually blend in the brown sugar along with the vanilla.
-Sift together the flour, baking poweder, salt, and spices.
-Beat into eggs until well blended.
-Fold in the fruit and nutmeats (WHAT IS THIS?)
-Pour into a buttered and floured 9x13 inch pan and bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes

No comments: