Sunday, May 17, 2009

One blueberry in the oven is worth...

So while I wait for the vegan blueberry poppyseed muffins for tomorrow's brunch to cool sufficiently to put into Tupperware, I thought I'd do a quick write up of last weekend's blueberry experiment - a dairy-free blueberry chocolate chip cake. I made this concoction with Susan Berson's famous kosher for Passover pudding cake and my mom's famous Teddy's Apple Cake in mind, the two coming together in a sweet swirl of mushy, crispy, cakey goodness.

And it was just that - mushy inside, a little crispy on the outside, with a vegan ganache from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I liked it so much that I made it again Monday night for my friend Blythe's birthday. It is fast and easy, and really tastes like a giant, warm chocolate chip cookie that perhaps hasn't been baked quite all the way through.

Here's the recipe:

Dairy Free Blueberry Chocolate Chip Cake
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt, plus maybe a pinch more
1 tsp cinamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
lots of dairy free bitter sweet chocolate chips or chunks (I liked it with chunks)
a cup or two blueberries (fresh or frozen - I used a pint of fresh, mixed with about 3/4 c frozen)

Directions:
-preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Beat oil and sugar together
-add eggs and beat until creamy
-sift together dried ingredients, stir into batter
-add chocolate chips, blueberries, and vanilla (don't be shy about some of the water from washing the blueberries or from the frozen blueberries getting into the batter - this recipe benefits from loads of moisture)
-pour batter into greased bundt pan
-bake at 350 for about 1 hour 15 minutes
-let cool completely in pan before removing, then add ganache; see recipe below

Quick Melty Ganache
(From Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
Ingredients
-3 tablespoons soy creamer or soy milk
-1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
-Heat soy milk in small saucepan over medium heat until just about to simmer
-Remove from heat
-Add chocolate chips and stirl till chocolate is completely melted and soy milk is incorporated
-Set aside and alow to cool for 10 minutes (I only waited abotu 5)
-With small spatula scoop into a prepared pastry bag or plastic bag with tip chopped off; or drizzle haphazardly with a fork (being the wild woman I am, I went for the haphazard fork method)


Please note the haphazard ganache work...

No comments: