Monday, June 23, 2008

Fast Food - Taqueria Patzcuaro

So today I'm starting a new feature. Fast Food. Quick write-ups about restaurants I visit that are deserving of mention, but maybe not a long post. Or else a way to mention a place that I happen upon without my camera in tow. Or, let's be honest, a way for me to discuss a restaurant when I don't have time for the whole shebang.

So our first entry - Denver's Taqueria Patzcuaro. Daniel, his very old friend Ben, and I went there for lunch on Friday. We usually stick to El Taco de Mexico when in Daniel's hometown (their chile relleno burrito is t-d-f), but this time we decided to be adventurous and followed Ben's recommendation to TaqPatz.

On my insistence, we all shared an order of Tacos Albanils, four tacos on homemade corn tortillas with slices of grilled steak, fried potatoes, onions, and jalapenos. With a bit of lime drizzled on top. So delicious. Good greasy, flavorful beef. And really thinly sliced pieces of lightly fried potatoes, thus combining the taco and the French fry. What could be better?

I had the Camaron de Mojo de Ajo - shrimp sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and lime juice, served with rice, lettuce, guacamole, and tortillas. I went for this because it had been recommended on some online forums and because my stomach was, as always, pushing me away from the legumes I so badly wanted. But the shrimp were delicious, really moist and perfectly cooked, if a bit greasy. The guac was rich and creamy and those corn tortillas were just right.

So there you have it. I'd go into what Daniel and Ben ate (chile relleno burrito and chicken fajitas respectively), but I'm trying (and not succeeding) to be FAST. Tomorrow is the first day of school, after all. (eeek).

Oh well. The next installment will be faster. My goal will be to get these entries down to 150 words. Let's see if I can do it...

No comments: